Satisfy your family’s Mexican food cravings with this keto version of beef enchiladas. While the chili sauce simmers on your stove top the aroma of Mexican spices fill the kitchen. Serve these keto and low carb beef enchiladas rojas warm right out of the oven and onto a plate. Nobody will leave the table hungry after their hearty meal of spicy beef, melted cheese and warm tortillas.
The practice of wrapping meat in tortillas originated in Mexico. The Mayans started the tradition of folding their fish into corn tortillas. The authentic Mexican enchilada was very simple and didn’t involve wrapping meats or any filler. An enchilada was simply a corn tortilla dipped into a red chili sauce. Over the years the enchilada evolved into numerous variations of filler stuffed into corn tortillas and smothered in a variety of sauces and toppings. To this day, the classic red chili sauce enchilada remains the most popular.
The classically delicious filling and topping for each enchilada is only 7g total carbs and 6g nets carbs which allows you to still stay in ketosis or low carb with the tortilla of your choice.
So, what are your tortilla options?
- Make your own tortillas. I made my own for this recipe and they turned out amazing. There are multiple low carb and keto recipes for tortillas online. Here is the link to the recipe I used.
- Buy them online or in the store. To save time you can buy low carb or keto wraps/tortillas. Most of them will be made from cassava flour, coconut flour or almond flour. Just make sure they are pliable enough to fold and hold the filling.
Other Keto Mexican Recipes:
In the mood for chicken enchiladas? You'll love our keto white sauce green chili chicken enchiladas.
Another delicious recipe you'll love is our keto avocado shrimp Mexican ceviche. We make this light and refreshing flavorful dish a lot in the summertime!
Keto and Low Carb Beef Enchiladas Rojas
- 1.5 lb ground beef I used organic ground beef by Kirkland
- 8 oz green chilies diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 10 tortillas Low carb or home made. I use this recipe. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Best-Keto-Paleo-Tortillas-Taco-Shells-Nachos
- 3 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 0.5 cup green onion chopped
- 0.25 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Over medium heat in a large sauce pan whisk the avocado oil and almond flour until a paste is formed
- Add the red enchilada sauce
- Add the chicken bone broth, 0.25 cup cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 40 min
- On the stove top, brown ground beef. Drain off fat. Stir in green chilies and salt. Stir until warm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with the prepared enchilada sauce.
- With tongs, dip each tortilla into the prepared enchilada sauce and then place it onto a large dinner plate.
- Fill each tortilla with even amounts of ground beef and divide about 1 cup shredded cheese to sprinkle on top of meat of each tortilla. Add a few green onions
- Roll each tortilla and place seam side down into the baking dish
- Evenly pour the remaining red sauce onto the tortillas in the baking dish
- Bake for 20-25 min or until the cheese is bubbly
- Top with green onions, fresh cilantro and serve
- Please note the nutritional information is for the filling only. The total nutrition will depend upon which tortillas you use.