These homemade keto apple cinnamon doughnut holes are pretty much the perfect breakfast treat or tasty sweet snack during the fall season. This easy to follow recipe makes doughnut holes with a slightly crispy cinnamon layer wrapped around a soft chewy center filled with flavors of apples and cinnamon.
Since apples are relatively high in carbs they are not considered very keto friendly. But that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy our favorite apple dishes. Chayote squash is commonly used to replace apples in recipes since its texture is very similar to an apple and the carbohydrates and calories are low. One cup of chayote has 25 calories, 6 g total carbs and 4 g net carbs vs an apple that has 65 calories, 17 g total carbs and 14 g net carbs.
With a little help of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a little sweetener we’ve transformed a squash into a keto friendly apple.
You can bake these low carb apple doughnut holes in the oven or with an air fryer. The air fryer makes the outer cinnamon layer a little crispier like a deep fryer would do.
In about 35 minutes you’ll have warm, crispy, apple cinnamon doughnut holes ready to pop in your mouth. Each doughnut hole has only 2g net carbs.
Want more delicious keto bite sized snack recipes? You’ll love our other tasty treats!
- Bacon Sausage Cheese Bites
- “Molasses” Balls
- Lemon Cheesecake Bites
- Raspberry or Blueberry Lemon Macaroons
Keto “Apple” Cinnamon Doughnut Holes
- 1.5 cup mozzarella shredded
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup chayote cooked, chopped
- 1 egg large, beaten
- 1 cup almond flour blanched
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 5 tbsp swerve confectioners sweetener
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Monkfruit sweetener Lakanto Classic
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave until melted (60-90 seconds), then stir to mix thoroughly.
- In a separate mixing bowl add almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and swerve sweetener. Mix ingredients thoroughly
- Add the dry ingredients to the melted cheese dough. Knead all ingredients together until well blended.
- In a small mixing bowl beat an egg and add vanilla.
- Combine the dough mixture and egg mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Place the dough mixture into the refrigerator for 20 minutes
- While the dough is in the refrigerator, boil a pot of water, just enough water to cover the chayote squash.
- Once the water is boiling add the chayote squash and steam until it is tender when pierced with a fork (8-10 minutes). Remove the chayote from the water and allow to cool
- Once the chayote is cooled enough to handed. Chop the squash into pieces
- Removed the dough from the refrigerator and add stir in the chopped chayote
- Form the dough into 18 round balls
- Melt the butter and place into a small bowl
- Mix the monkfruit sweetener and cinnamon together in a separate bowl
- Coat a thin layer of butter onto each donut hole and then roll the donut hole in the cinnamon mixture to form a thin even layer on the dough.
- Oven: Place the donut holes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave a little space in between each donut hole as they will expand slightly. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Air Fryer: Set the air fryer to 320 degrees and bake the donut holes for 5 minutes
- 2g Net Carbs for each doughnut hole