If you grew up eating biscuits like I did, this keto biscuit recipe is a must add to your breakfast rotation!
Biscuits are a classic comfort food – and for good reason… Flaky and fluffy, who can resist one of them especially when they are slathered in butter and jelly!
However, if you’re eating low carb or keto, the old fashioned buttermilk biscuit is definitely off limits. The good news is that this recipe for low carb biscuits will satisfy any cravings you might have while keeping you well within your macros.
Biscuits as we know them today had a very humble beginning in the ancient world. Originally prepared as a basic paste-like mixture of flour and water, they weren’t consumed for their taste but more for their functionality.
Once it cooked, the preparation would be removed and place into a cooler oven until all moisture was removed from it. Once hardened, this created a valuable food source in a time when foods didn’t keep long at all making it truly “portable”.
It’s easy to see the appeal as these early biscuits could last for many months without any fear of them going bad or becoming inedible.
As time moved on, baking methods and ingredients improved the taste and texture of the biscuit making it a much different version from their hard counterparts.
Today, the popular Southern-style buttermilk that we’ve all come to know haven’t lost any of their popularity or appeal.
These keto biscuits are the perfect mix of almond flour and coconut flour. The proper blend of these two ingredients gives you the flakiness you want and the dense mouthfeel you’ve come to expect from the standard biscuit recipe.
That also means they’re sturdy enough to make breakfast sandwiches with things like eggs, patty sausages or just plain old butter and sugar free jelly! You could also use our delicious keto protein waffles to make breakfast sandwiches. We made our keto sausage “McGriddles” breakfast sandwich with the keto protein waffles.
As far as macros, these low carb biscuits come in at 268 calories each and only 2 net grams of carbohydrate. There are only a handful of ingredients and they take less than one hour to make so if you’ve been craving biscuits without the guilt, these should be on your “must make” list!
Another savory low carb recipe used for snacks, appetizers or breakfast is our keto sausage, bacon, cheese bites.
Easy Cheesy Keto Biscuits
- 1 cup almond flour super fine
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- .25 tsp Kosher salt or Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- .25 tsp garlic powder
- .25 tsp onion powder
- 4 oz cream cheese
- .5 cup cheese shredded
- 5 tsp water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs large
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add almond flour.
- Add coconut flour.
- Add salt and baking powder.
- Add garlic powder and onion powder.
- Add cheese.
- Blend all ingredients together thoroughly and set bow aside.
- Using a second bowl, add cream cheese.
- Add two eggs.
- Mix ingredients together completely.
- Add cream cheese and egg mix to dry ingredients.
- Mix all all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Grease a muffin pan with butter to prevent muffins from sticking to the pan.
- Spoon in even amounts of the biscuit mix into each muffin cup.
- Place biscuits in oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from oven once the tops have browned slightly.
- Serve warm with butter and enjoy!