This delicious (and surprisingly filling) recipe for keto cinnamon rolls makes for a tempting treat. Whether you have it for breakfast or as a dessert, you are going to love this low carb twist on the old sugar-laden favorite.
Growing up, I am pretty sure cinnamon rolls were one of my favorite things to eat. Hmm, that extends to pretty much anything with sugar in it doesn't it?
Even so, there's nothing quite like the sensation of biting into a warm cinnamon roll – it brings back nothing but good memories to me.
Of course nowadays, the traditional cinnamon roll is off limits and for good reason! You really couldn't eat a more high carb, calorie laden, belt busting dessert if you tried. Even so, the humble cinnamon roll is enjoyed the world over.
In fact, in the country where they were invented (Sweden), the average person eats the equivalent of more than 300 cinnamon rolls per year! There's even an International National Cinnamon Roll Day, known as kanelbullens dag, which is celebrated each year on October 4th.
So it's clear cinnamon rolls have worldwide appeal but what can we do to change up some of those not-so-keto ingredients while still finding a way to enjoy this one-of-a-kind treat? Well, with a little experimentation and a bit of taste testing, I think we've hit paydirt!
These rolls are a tasty mix of a buttery, cinnamon-filled center and a creamy, decadent cream cheese frosting. We've made this recipe with coconut flour which gives the denseness and mouth feel you know and love – no wimpy rolls here I promise!
They've got a reasonable amount of 386 calories per serving and at only 5 grams of net carbs per serving, these low carb cinnamon rolls fit nicely into almost anyone's low carb or keto lifestyle.
Making these keto cinnamon rolls is a bit involved but the effort will be worth it. From start to finish, it should take you about an hour.
A note on sweeteners…
We've opted to use Swerve Sweeteners here – both granulated and powdered but you could just as easily use something else. A good option would be Lakanto's Monkfruit Sweetener and Golden Monkfruit Sweetener.
You'll love our other sweet breakfast delights!
Keto Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1.5 oz cream cheese
- 1.5 cup almond flour blanched
- 4.5 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tsp water
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 8 tsp Granulated Swerve
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 3 tbsp Powdered Swerve
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place Mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a large micro-safe bowl. Microwave cheese mixture for about 40 seconds.
- Stir the Mozzarella cheese and cream cheese together and place back into the microwave for an additional 40 seconds. Stir the cheese mixture again until well blended.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, baking powder, vanilla and water to the cheese mixture. Stir the mixture together with a spoon.
- The dough will be very sticky. With well greased hands ( I use liquid coconut oil but you can use the oil of your choice) knead the dough until all ingredients are blended together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the firm dough from the refrigerator and place onto a large piece of parchment paper. Place another large piece of parchment paper on top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a large square shape. Remove the top layer of parchment paper.
- To make the filling, mix the melted butter, cinnamon and granulated Swerve in a small bowl.
- Brush the filling mixture evenly on the rolled out dough.
- Use the parchment paper to help roll the dough evenly without sticking.
- Using a knife, cut the dough into 8 even rolls.
- Line a bread pan or square dish with parchment paper. (I use a glass bread pan that allows the rolls to rest next to each other and keep their shape while baking). Place the rolls in the oven until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Make the frosting while the rolls are baking. Place the cream cheese and butter In medium sized microwave-safe bowl and microwave until softened, about 15-20 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and blend the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the powdered Swerve and vanilla in the same bowl and blend well.
- Once the rolls are golden brown, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Spread even amount of the frosting onto each roll and serve warm.