I’ve found my new favorite sauce….plum sauce. I love it…the taste, the texture, the color. This versatile and tasty condiment is slightly sweet, a tad tart with a hint of heat. The texture and tartness sort of reminds me of cranberry sauce but plum sauce tastes a little more complex to me with the added hint of heat.
Plum sauce, like cranberry sauce, is made with ingredients that are not consumed in a low carb or keto lifestyle. However, my plum sauce recipe is sugar free, keto approved, low carb and paleo. Plums are one of the fruits lower in carbohydrates. One medium sized plum contains 7 g of carbohydrates. A two-tablespoon serving of my keto plum sauce contains only 3 g net carbs and a mere 13 calories.
The texture of plum sauce is a personal preference like peanut butter. Do you like thick and chunky or smooth and creamy? I am a thick and chunky gal so that’s how I make my plum sauce but for you smooth and creamy fans out there…. just one additional step, included in the recipe below, will make it perfect for you. Plum sauce is thick and a little sticky which makes it perfect for spreading or basting.
Well now that you know you must try my delectable keto plum sauce; how do you use it?
Plum sauce is a well-known side with Chinese food. You’ve probably seen it for sale in the stores as Asian plum sauce or Chinese plum sauce. But this plum sauce is not just for duck. Once you experience the sweet and lightly spiced condiment, you’ll want to spread this on everything.
1. Finishing sauce for roasted duck, chicken, shrimp, pork or turkey. Here is a link to my air fryer turkey breast recipe that I finished off with my plum sauce.
2. Dipping sauce
3. Alternative to BBQ sauce this summer
4. Stir fry sauce
5. Dressing for Asian slaw or salad
6. Sugar free plum jam- the longer it simmers, it becomes more jam-like
7. Sauce for your low carb noodle or rice alternative recipes
Is plum sauce the same as duck sauce?
Plum sauce is a type of duck sauce. Duck sauce is any sauce used for duck and since plum sauce is commonly used for duck it is a duck sauce.
I made my keto plum sauce recipe very easy, delicious and quick. You don’t even need the time or the mess to peel the fruit. The plum peel gives plum sauce its beautiful deep purple color. Once you taste my plum sauce you will buy plums every time you visit the grocery store!
Keto Plum Sauce
- 3 plums 13-14 oz, pitted and chopped
- 2.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3.5 tbsp golden monkfruit sweetener
- 1 tbsp ginger ground
- 2-3 drop liquid sweetener of your choice, adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 clove garlic mined
- 1 star anise whole
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper adjust to taste
- 2 tsp yacon syrup
- remove pits from plums and chop into chunks
- place all ingredients into a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil
- reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the plums have softened.
- remove cinnamon stick and star anise
- stir well sauce well and simmer until preferred consistency. The longer the simmer the thicker the sauce becomes
- to create a smooth texture: after removing the star anise and cinnamon stick, puree the softened plum sauce with an immersion blender or food processor . Return the mixture to the sauce pan and simmer until preferred thickness.
- this makes 2 cups. Each serving has 3 g net carbs