Thai chicken basil is hands down one of our favorite Thai dishes. However, the authentic version is made with sugar and oyster sauce that also contains sugar. So, in its traditional form, Thai chicken basil is not low carb or keto-friendly. Determined to still enjoy on of our favorites, I created this sugar free keto Thai chicken basil recipe that’s about as close to the real thing as you can get. This recipe is quick, easy to follow and DELICIOUS.
Personally, I enjoy eating my chicken basil in a lettuce wrap which really helps keep the calories and carbs lower. Customarily, it is served over rice (you can easily use cauliflower rice) with a fried egg served on the side.
This also makes a great meal prep dish. Making it only requires one pan to get dirty and the ingredients are budget friendly.
If at all possible, use holy basil with this recipe. It delivers more of a spicy peppery flavor than sweet basil. If you cannot find holy basil, sweet basil will still taste great in this dish.
Whether Thai chicken basil is one of your favorites or you’ve never had it, this recipe is a must try!
Keto Thai Chicken Basil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp Golden Monkfruit Sweetener I use Lakanto
- 3 tbsp Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce you can use coconut aminos instead but remember to adjust the nutrition
- 5 clove garlic minced
- 2-5 red Thai chilies minced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp clam juice
- 1.5 cup holy basil sweet basil is okay to use
- 1 fried egg optional as a side
- 2 Romaine lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, heat avocado oil
- add garlic and Thai chilies to hot oil. Stir until fragrant, about 25-30 seconds
- add ground chicken and stir until cooked through
- add golden monkfruit sweetener, Tamari soy sauce and clam juice
- keep stirring all ingredients for 30 seconds
- Over low heat, allow sauce to simmer until thickens, about 2-3 minutes
- add the basil and blend into chicken mixture. Remove the pan from heat after 10-15 seconds
- serve immediately in a lettuce wrap
- Nutritional information is for beef only 2 g net carbs per serving